Last week, I compiled a list of all the essential items you need in a dorm room from bedding to storage and everything in between. This week, I pulled together a list of clothing items I believe every successful college girl needs. Of course your needs may be different, and you may not need all of this, but you can use this checklist as a guideline. Don’t have what you need? That’s okay! Below are links to fashionable and affordable products you can buy to start building your wardrobe.
Every college girl should have a selection of professional clothing. There are career fairs, job interviews, club events, and many other reasons to dress up throughout the year. First impressions are always important, and you’ll make a great one if you walk in wearing any combination of the following items.
- White Button Down – J Crew // H&M // Gap
- Black Dress – Old Navy // ASOS // Loft
- White Dress – ASOS // Lulu’s // XOXO
- Black/Grey Pencil Skirt
- Black Dress Pants – Loft // Express // Old Navy
- Navy/Khaki Dress Pants
- Black Blazer – H&M // Forever 21 // Olivia Moon
- Neutral Blazer – Loft // Banana Republic Factory
- Dark Jeans – Old Navy // White House Black Market // New Look
Whether you’re walking to class or catching up with a friend over lunch, you want to look effortlessly chic. These items are perfect basics to add to your wardrobe while maintaining your fashionable look!
- Black Tee – Old Navy // Merona // Express
- White Tee – Forever 21 // American Eagle // ASOS
- Sweaters – J. Crew Factory // Loft // Madewell
- Cardigans – H&M // Mossimo // Forever 21
- Plaid Shirt – Zara // Urban Outfitters // Arizona
- Chambray Shirt – BDG // J. Crew Factory // Old Navy
- Distressed Jeans – American Eagle // Old Navy // Express
- Light/Medium Wash Jeans – Gap // American Eagle // Loft
- Day Dresses – Loft // Lulu’s // Forever 21
- Skater Skirts – ASOS // H&M // Ecote Debbie
- Shorts – J. Crew Factory // Old Navy // H&M
Everyone has those lazy days or 8 am classes where they can’t just bring themselves to put on real pants. Believe me, no one will judge you if you show up to class in yoga pants and an oversized t-shirt. They’re probably wishing they were as comfortable as you. Also included in this category is gym clothing.
- Yoga Pants – Victoria’s Secret // Forever 21 // Mossimo
- School T-Shirts – PINK // Universitees // Your Campus Bookstore
- Athletic Shorts – Nike // Lululemon // Under Armour
- Athletic Pants – Nike // Lululemon // Adidas
- Sweatshirts – PINK // ASOS // Forever 21
- Zip-Ups – PINK // H&M // Old Navy
“Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world” – Marilyn Monroe. Keep this quote in mind next time you’re shopping, and you might just find the perfect pair!
- Black Heels – H&M // Jessica Simpson // Zara
- Nude Heels – Loft // Steve Madden // Mix No. 6
- Black Flats – J. Crew Factory // Vince Camuto // Forever 21
- Black Sandals – Express // Steve Madden // Lulu’s
- Neutral Sandals – BDG // H&M // Chinese Laundry
- Wedges – Madden Girl // Guess // Lucky Brand
- Flip Flops – Fergalicious // Jack Rogers // Michael Kors
- White Lace-Ups – Converse // Ked’s // Van’s
- Athletic Shoes – Nike // Adidas // Puma
- Rain Boots – Joules // Hunter // Helly Hansen
- Snow Boots – Sorel // UGG Australia // The North Face
- Slippers – UGG Australia // Minnetonka // MUK LUKS
You never know what the weather’s going to be like, so you should be prepared for whatever. Depending on the climate where you live, these may not all be necessary, so just buy what you need.
- Pea Coat – Gap // L.L Bean // J. Crew
- Raincoat – Topshop // ASOS // Steve Madden
- Winter Coat – Laundry // Columbia // 32 Degrees
Accessories are a girl’s best friend! They can dress up any outfit or add a little more personal flair to a basic t-shirt. From jewelry to hats, here’s a list of all the things you should have.
- Winter Hat/Gloves
- Scarves – Gap // Old Navy // Target
- Baseball Cap – Keds // Vans // Target
- Gold Jewelry – Bauble Bar // Loft // Kendra Scott
- Silver Jewelry – Lulu’s // Sugar Bean // Target
- Statement Necklace – Betsey Johnson // Francesca’s // Bauble Bar
- Pearl Necklace and Earring Set – Target // Kohl’s // Charming Charlie
- Diamond Necklace and Earring Set – Kohl’s // Swarovski // Illuminaire
And there you have it! A complete list of all the essential wardrobe items – in my opinion anyway! Did I miss anything? Let me know what you think in the comments!