Speaking as a current sophomore in an apparel program, it’s safe to say that we have a certain way of living. We can’t help it, it’s just the way we were bred. If you’re an apparel major, no matter what kind, you will probably be able to relate to these situations.
1. You contemplate if you should dress up for your classes or not
“Will my professors deem me unworthy of being a fashion major? Will my classmates judge my lack of style? I mean, I know other people in my class dress in yoga pants, but is it worth it?” *moment of thought* “Yeah, it’s totally worth it.”
2. You call shopping for clothes “investing in your future”
“Yes, Mom. I really did need that Michael Kors handbag. It’s a great piece that I can even use after I graduate!”
3. When you graduate, odds are you want to get a job in a big city
“If it doesn’t have its own fashion week, I’m not interested.”
4. The words “I’m going to be the next *insert favorite fashion icon here*” have come out of your mouth on more than one occasion
“I’m basically the reincarnation of Coco Chanel.”
5. You have your own fashion blog or are considering starting one
Guilty as charged.
6. You’re always caught up on the latest fashion shows
“Did you see the Louis Vuitton show yesterday? Wasn’t it amazing?”
7. You eagerly await the announcement of the next Pantone Color of the Year
“Marsala is my new favorite color!”
8. The word “internship” equally excites you and stresses you out.
“I was up until 3 A.M. filling out applications. I don’t even know who I am anymore.”
9. You’ve been known to wear multiple outfits in one day
A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do.
10. Staying caught up on the current trends is basically like a part-time job
“Excuse me while I go fill up my closet with boyfriend jeans, velvet, and chunky knits!”
All jokes aside, being a fashion major is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. It’s a fantastic, fast-paced, competitive industry that’s constantly changing. I wouldn’t want to be doing anything else with my life!
Don’t forget to follow me on social media!